Pregnancy Diary: Week 38

8/11/13

38 Weeks Pregnant. 


Here I am again, another week has flown by. I am now just starting my 39th week of pregnancy. I have been pregnant for over 250 days, 9 whole months pregnant and boy don't I know it! I am still really enjoying my pregnancy but I have this overwhelming need to meet him. As much as I love being pregnant I just want him in my arms now. It feels like I have been pregnant forever.  

On a whole I don't feel too bad considering how far a long I am now. I was expecting to feel a lot more exhausted and fed up by now. Perhaps that is how I will feel next week. I have a feeling this won't be the last pregnancy log I post, I think he is going to keep his Mummy waiting and be overdue. (Edit: This won't be happening now - Keep reading)

I have been experiencing a lot more cramps, twinges and braxton hicks the past few days. Last night I was led in bed and the sensations were so strong that I actually thought it was time. I had tightening and back pain throughout the entire night but when I woke up they were gone and I have had nothing since. My baby is a tease! 

I had my 38 week midwife appointment this week. Throughout the past 9 months each appointment has been quick, easy and straight forward but this week it wasn't. My blood pressure was a higher than usual and as I had been suffering from random migraines it raised a red flag. Although there was no protein found in my urine they are keeping an eye on me to make sure that I don't develop pre eclampsia as my Mum had the condition when she was expecting me. They are monitoring me and hopefully nothing will come of it. 

After my appointment I didn't really know how to feel. I only had slightly raised blood pressure but the thought of my baby being under any distress or me not being at my healthiest just made me feel guilty, frustrated and emotional. I think I over reacted when I got home as I was in fits of tears, which I blame on my pregnancy hormones! After I let it all digest I felt a lot more positive and soon snapped out of it. I go back on Thursday to have my blood pressure taken again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it has gone back to normal. 

Yesterday I went back for another check. Although my blood pressure was lower the baby's heart rate was a higher than she would of liked so I was sent to hospital to be monitored. It was for precaution only and I felt better knowing that I was going to have him looked at. 

Once we arrived at the hospital we waited a while to be seen then I went in to be monitored. The midwife I had was fantastic, so friendly and informative. The baby's heartbeat had gone back down to normal and he was moving fine. As this was the second time I had been in for monitoring the midwife suggested that the Doctor come in to see me. I was impressed that they were so thorough. When the Doctor arrived she first read through my notes and asked me about the baby. I told her that this week his movements had changed and that I thought it was due to him engaging. To which she replied that he should still have his usual patterns, which he does but they have certainly changed. She said she would like to perform an internal exam to see if I was dilated and to give me a stretch and sweep. Considering I was only going in for monitoring and was 38+6 I was a surprised but accepted. The stretch and sweep was uncomfortable to say the least but it was quickly and expertly done and she informed me that I was already 1cm dilated. The surprises didn't stop there as she also said she would like to book me in for induction! She advised that it was best and I agreed. I am booked in for my induction tomorrow. 

So I went to hospital to be monitored as a precaution to leaving with not only a stretch and sweep but a booked induction! Safe to say I walked out of the building in a daze, it didn't sink in till this morning. I will go into hospital on Saturday and the next time I come home I will have my baby! 




It feels strange that this will be my very last pregnancy diary. The next time I post I will be posting all about our son! Where have the past 9 months gone? I am so excited, nervous and scared. 

Wish us luck and I will see you on the other side!

15 comments:

  1. . All the best for your induction look forward to reading about your new arrival :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope it all goes well for you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How exciting!!! Wishing you all the very very best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you lots of luck,enjoy spending time as a family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the safe delivery! He is mega cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! You've had your baby since this post. I think blogging your pregnancy is such a great way to journal your experience and memories, even if it's not the first. And it's helpful for other moms - great for friends and family to see progress. I didn't blog my pregnancy, but read the week-by-week development books and things like that. I just came across a new book that's really awesome and even takes it up another notch called “The Wonder Within You: celebrating your baby’s journey from conception to birth” by Carey Wickersham. It’s an awesome combination of week-to-week pregnancy information, what’s going on with the baby, “Did you know?” plus health advice about what to eat, cravings, nutrition, etc, BUT also with awesome 3D/4D pictures and videos you can link or QR with your phone to and see what your baby looks like at each week stage. Even better than the typical week-to-week books, and so personal! It’s got mom stories and even a journal/note section to write your personal memories and letters to your baby. The pregnancy information is as up-to-date as it gets and it’s such a great keepsake. I want to get one for everybody I know who is expecting! I highly recommend it! TheWonderWithinYou.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new bundle of joy

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you get pregnant, stunning things begin incident to your body, even in the primary month. Directly after origination, the egg will get to be implanted in the coating of the uterus. It has been treated while as yet going through the fallopian tube, and once it achieves the supplement rich climate of the womb, it will append itself and keep partitioning at an exponential rate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone is different on what they experience, some could experience normal some individuals experience exhausted and sick and tired etc but thanks for being us part of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog brings me back to the time when I was pregnant with my daughter and now she grows too fast! I missed the time when she was so fragile and so dependent on me. Way back before, I had never been very excited with a mixed of emotions. Fear maybe? I also doubted myself if I can make it. I can’t imagine the labour pain for roughly 7 hours! But certainly, as soon as you’re holding your baby, everything is paid off. Our baby’s worth the pain after all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everyone is different on what they experience, some could experience normal some individuals experience exhausted and sick and tired etc but thanks for being us part of your blog.

    ReplyDelete